Human Trafficking Continuing Education
Online Education/Enduring Material
Trafficking in Persons: A Primer for the Health Care Professional
Planning Committee: The Planning Committee Members of: Jeffrey Barrows, DO MA (bioethics); Gloria Halverson, MD; Clydette Powell MD, MPH; Barbara Snapp; Katherine Welch, MD; Sharon Whitmer, EdD, DENTAL Planning Committee Members: Grace Ahn, DDS; Alan Carr, DDS; Michael O'Callaghan, DDS; Richard Topazian, DDS do not have any relevant financial relationships with any commercial interests.
CE Committee: The CMDA CE Review Committee of: Bruce MacFadyen, Chair; Jeff Amstutz, DDS; Lindsey Clarke, MD; Stan Cobb, DDS; Gary Goforth, MD; Elizabeth Heredia, MD; Curtis High, DDS; Dale Michels, MD; Shawn Morehead, MD; John Pierce, MD; Gene Rudd, MD; David Stevens, MD; and Richard Voet, MD do not have any relevant financial relationships with any commercial interests.
Educational materials are provided by PDF document links. Download Adobe free software.
Method of Participation:
Medical/Dental participant will view the PDF documents and will complete a post-test evaluation for credit which will measure the potential effect of this educational material on their competence, performance, and/or patient outcomes.
Estimated time to complete the educational activity:
Each session should take 1 hour in length to complete
Review Date: December 1, 2015
Release Date: January 1, 2013
Expiration Date: December 31, 2018
The Christian Medical & Dental Associations is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The AMA Designation Statement
The Christian Medical & Dental Associations designates this enduring material for a maximum of 11 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Dental Continuing Education (11 hours available)
The Christian Medical & Dental Associations is designated as an Approved PACE Program Provider by the Academy of General Dentistry. The formal continuing education programs of this program provider are accepted by AGD for Fellowship, Mastership and membership Maintenance credit. Approval does not imply acceptance by a state or provincial board of dentistry or AGD endorsement. The current term of approval extends from 1/1/2015 to 12/31/2018. Provider ID# 218742
11 hours of self-instruction/online education hours – No prior level of skill, knowledge, or experience is required (or suggested)
THERE IS NO COMMERCIAL SUPPORT FOR THIS ACTIVITY
Human trafficking, otherwise known as modern day slavery is thought to have more than 27 million victims today. There has been a resurgence in awareness and counter trafficking interventions in the last few years both domestically in the US as well as globally. However, the health care community as a whole has been slow in recognizing this as a health care issue and there remains a scarcity of data informing the identification of and services provided to survivors of human trafficking.
Human trafficking is an important global health issue of our time and there have been many calls for more involvement by health professionals in services and research.
Several gaps exist in our ability to care for trafficked persons including:
- Improving our ability to identify victims
- Developing holistic approaches and sensitization to their specific needs
- Developing protocols for care and follow-up
- Improving working relationships across disciplines (law enforcement, social work, etc.).
These issues will be addressed through this continuing education online course.
- Discuss the widespread extent of human trafficking.
- Identify people who have been trafficked.
- Screen for common health concerns of this group of people and provide appropriate treatment.
- Identify how and where to find resources to safely intervene in a victim’s situation.
- Recognize the need for a holistic approach and develop sensitivity to their specific needs.
- Review appropriate language that conveys compassion and concern when treating patients.
- Observe patients for signs of human trafficking.
- Identify the needs of orphans, aliens and those who appear to be oppressed.
- Describe a holistic approach (physical, emotional, spiritual) to healthcare when treating a patient.
- Examine scriptural references to human trafficking and oppression and how these aid in holistic healthcare.
- Jeffrey Barrows, DO MA (bioethics); Health Consultant on Human Trafficking, Christian Medical & Dental Associations; Vice President of Education and Advocacy for Abolition International
- Ruth Downing, MSN RN CNP SANE-A; Founder and President Forensic Healthcare Consulting
- Gloria Halverson, MD; Adjunct Professor Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical College of Wisconsin; Team Leader, Global Health Outreach Human Trafficking Division
- Clydette Powell MD, MPH; Medical Officer, Bureau for Global Health, USAID; Associate Professor of Neurology, George Washington University School of Medicine
- Katherine Welch, MD; Founder and Director of Relentless; International Human Trafficking Consultant
The Trafficking In Persons (TIP) Faculty do not have any relevant financial relationships with any commercial interests nor do their presentations present unlabeled or investigational use(s) of a drug(s) or devices(s) in the educational modules.
Email CMDA's Trafficking In Persons with additional questions.
Instructions to Receive Credit
There is absolutely no charge to view the material. However, there are requirements to receive AMA PRA Category 1TM or AGD Pace Credit. Please complete the Trafficking in Persons CE Payment Form. There is no cost for CMDA members. If you are NOT a CMDA member, there is a $20 per credit hour charge. For example: completion of 5 of the 11 modules total a $100 fee to obtain the above types of credit.
Once membership is verified or payment is processed, you will be sent your CE certificate/attendance verification via e-mail. You should receive the e-mail within 5 business days. If questions or comments, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continuing Education is AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™ and AGD PACE Credit(s). To provide general feedback on the material and for questions, please email CMDA's Trafficking In Persons.
CMDA Department of Continuing Education
P.O. Box 7500
Bristol, TN 37621