Activities and Resources
To help us achieve our vision of creating a community for Christian psychiatrists, we encourage you to get involved with the activities we offer to members of the Psychiatry Section.
- Current Issues Blog - Join the conversation with us as we discuss the latest current issues impacting Christian psychiatrists.
- Mentoring: Sharing a Journey - Do you have questions regarding how to successfully practice Christian psychiatry? Have you ever needed advice from someone who knows you personally and professionally? Do you want to know that there is someone out there you can call when you need to make that difficult decision? Our members are both young and seasoned psychiatrists who are willing to invest in each other, in young doctors considering psychiatry and psychiatrists starting their practices. We consider it a privilege to dig deep and help prepare a resident for some of the spiritual challenges and frustrations and disappointments they will face. Contact us to find out how you can be involved.
- Meetings and conferences - Our main event every year are the annual meetings and seminars we hold in conjunction with the American Psychiatry Association's Annual Meeting. In addition, we also hold local meetings and activities.
- Career guidance and coaching to healthcare professionals, residents and students - We interface in many ways with CMDA's Life & Executive Coaching, a ministry that offers a personalized resource to support and encourage Christian healthcare professionals. You may wish to utilize this resource personally, while coaches may need to refer clients to mental health professionals on occasion. You may also want to refer patients to a professional coach for support and encouragement. For more information, visit www.cmda.org/coaching.
- Domestic and international healthcare mission trip opportunities - CMDA is dedicated to both domestic and international missions. Through our various mission outreaches, we provide opportunities for healthcare professionals to use their God-given skills to meet the needs of others around the world and share the gospel. While psychiatry resources are often not specifically listed as needed resources, there is a tremendouse need for psychiatrists on most of our mission trips. For more information, visit www.cmda.org/missions.
Our Psychiatry Section resources are specifically designed to give you the tools you need to effectively serve the Lord in your life and your practice. These are only just a small selection of the resources available through CMDA, so please visit CMDA's Resources for more information.
- A Christian Legacy In Psychiatry Audio interviews by Dr. Alan Nelson - a series of interviews with leading Christian scholars regarding faith and practice
- Mental Health and the Church Forum - Atlanta. How can the church position itself to bring hope and healing to those seeking help and direction when faced by one of the many forms of mental illness - potentially, one of life’s most difficult issues and challenges.
- Recommended articles and books - articles and publications recommended to stimulate and encourage the practice of Christian psychiatry
- Residency programs, points of contact and specialties - residency programs with faculty and staff desiring to discuss educational opportunities focused on the practice of Christian psychiatry
- Books at the booth - a list of current publications featured at the Psychiatry Section exhibition at the annual APA convention
- CMDA Bookstore - online access to CMDA-produced audio, video and print resources that are "medically reliable and biblically sound," as well as a wide variety of outside materials reviewed and approved before being included