As a ministry of CMDA, we offer a forum for the interface of psychiatric practice and the Christian faith.
OUR STATEMENT OF PURPOSE AND BELIEFS
- To stimulate Christians in the practice of psychiatry to investigate and discuss the relation between their faith and professional practice and to incorporate such examined beliefs into their daily practice.
- To promote in the Christian community an understanding and use of valid psychological principles, consistent with Christian beliefs.
- To contribute to the national and local ministry of CMDA through participation, prayer and sharing of our activities.
- To join in the ministry of international Christian missions.
- To present a positive witness of God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Savior, to colleagues, patients and society.
OUR STATEMENT OF FAITH
(While each of us holds fast to additional beliefs important to our relationship with God, the following statement outlines the tenets that provide a foundation for our fellowship and participation in the Christian Medical & Dental Associations.)
- In the divine inspiration and final authority of the Bible as the Word of God;
- In the eternal God revealed in Holy Scripture as Father, Son and Holy Spirit;
- In the unique Deity of Jesus Christ, God’s only Son, whose death and resurrection provide by grace through faith the only means of my salvation;
- In the transforming presence and power of the Holy Spirit.
- Newsletters - we publish a newsletter three times per year and special updates more frequently
- Current Issues Blog - we sponsor a forum for discussion and comment on current and emerging issues within the practice of psychiatry
- Meetings and conferences - small groups of members gather often at professional meetings and conferences, and we also host a focused forum at the APA National Conference each year
- Career guidance and coaching to healthcare professionals, residents and students - opportunities for new and seasoned professionals to encourage and assist each other
- Domestic and international healthcare mission trip opportunities - we participate in training events, team excursions and individual trips for ministry and outreach
KEEPING IN TOUCH WITH OTHER CHRISTIANS IN THE FIELD
We publish three newsletters each year to keep our members updated about our upcoming meetings and information of interest to Christian psychiatrists. In addition, we also publish a directory every other year to assist our members with networking and referrals. Our website provides useful information for those interested in residency programs.
WHERE DO WE MEET?
Since 1961, the Psychiatry Section has met concurrent to the annual American Psychiatric Association meeting. We also encourage our members to fellowship at other conferences such as the AACAP and CMDA's National Convention.
WHAT DO WE DO AT OUR ANNUAL MEETINGS?
We gather annually at the national APA convention. These meetings are an excellent opportunity for fellowship and to study current issues with other Christians in the field of psychiatry. Opportunities at APA include:
- Breakfast talks on topics to engage the mind and soul
- Social gatherings and worship to facilitate mutual sharing, support and encouragement
- A half-day integration seminar designed to help members integrate their Christian faith into their practice of psychiatry
- A dinner meeting with an outstanding speaker to address current issues and topics of interest or concern
In addition, we have a booth in the exhibit area that is manned by volunteers and staff to reach out to all participants of the APA.
CMDA Psychiatry Exhibit –
Opens Sunday at 10:00 AM and Closes Tuesday at 4:00 PM
Go to "Meetings and Conferences" tab for past meetings and our current plans for our next meeting in New York City in May.
WHO CAN BE A MEMBER?
Active membership is open to all interested psychiatrists and residents in psychiatry training who are members of a state, local or national medical organization. Associate membership is available to physicians in other specialties and PhDs who have an interest in psychiatry. You do not have to be a member of CMDA to join the section, although membership is encouraged. For more information about becoming a member of CMDA, visit www.joincmda.org. Membership information for the Psychiatry Section is included below.
Want to share information about us with a colleague? Download our brochure. Psychiatry Section Brochure
2016-2018 EXECUTIVE BOARD
- Brian Briscoe, MD - Chair
- Barney Davis, MD - Vice Chair
- - Secretary/Treasurer
- Samuel Thielman, MD, PhD - Past Chair
- Esther Currie, MD - Resident/Student Liaison
- Marshall Williams - Administrative Assistant