Fellowship of Christian Optometrists, International
The Fellowship of Christian Optometrists, International, Inc., founded in 1986, is a not-for-profit evangelical organization of Christian optometrists, optometry students, and allied ophthalmic personnel committed to world wide eye care missions and intraprofessional Christian fellowship.
The Purposes of FCO International, Inc.
- To help optometrists and allied ophthalmic personnel become established in the type of mission work which combines eye care and the furtherance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, both in the workplace and on mission fields around the world.
- To promote, further, and maintain fellowship among optometrists and others in the ophthalmic professions who believe in the Gospel of Jesus Christ as recorded in Scriptures.
- To provide optometric and ophthalmic services for poor and needy persons in both the United States and foreign countries, on a charitable basis and not for pecuniary profit.
- To establish, maintain and operate educational training programs and clinics in optometry and allied ophthalmic fields for students of optometry and allied ophthalmic fields and who are members of or affiliated with FCO, International.
- To assist in the furtherance of the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ
- We believe in one God, Maker of all things and manifested as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that the Son of God, Jesus Christ, being incarnate, was begotten of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, and is true God and true man.
- We believe the final authority to be the Word of God as expressed through the Bible, being divinely inspired and inerrant.
- We believe that the death of Jesus Christ on the cross and the shedding of His blood was the atonement for our sin and was necessary for our salvation.
- We believe in salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.
- We believe that Jesus Christ was resurrected from the dead and that He will return to reign and rule on the earth.
- We believe in the resurrection of the dead; the saved to be with the Lord and the lost to an everlasting punishment.
Active membership in FCO, International is open to optometrists, optometry students, and persons holding the Ph.D. or equivalent who are associated with an accredited optometry school or engaged in full-time vision research. There are four requirements for membership:
- Acknowledgement of Jesus Christ as one’s personal Saviour and Lord.
- Written acceptance of FCO’s Statement of Beliefs and Statement of Purposes as described in the FCO, International Bylaws.
- Conduct consistent with Biblical standards.
- Maintenance of professional competency, good academic standing, and personal and professional integrity.