2018 CMDA Psychiatry Section at APA Conference
Start Date: 05/06/2018
End Date: 05/09/2018
City: New York City
State: New York
Javits Convention Center, New York City
CMDA Psychiatry Annual Conference Meetings/Activities:
Morning Breakfast: Homewood Suites Lobby, Breakfast Buffet
Morning Meetings (After Breakfast): Hudson Room, Upstairs in Homewood Suites
Monday Evening Banquet: Kip’s Bay Room, Wyndham New Yorker Hotel
- May 6, Sunday, Morning Worship Service, 9:30 am: Meet in Homewood Suites Lobby. Travel as Group to Eastside Redeemer Presbyterian Church.
- May 6, Sunday, 5:00 – 7:00 PM: Evening Social & Dinner, Meet in Homewood Suites Lobby at 5:00 PM, walk to Tic Toc Diner in New Yorker Hotel.
- May 7, 8, 9 (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday), 6:15 - 7:15 AM: Informal Breakfasts: Homewood Suites, Breakfast Buffet. (Free to Hotel guests, $30 for others.)
- May 7, Monday 7:30 – 8:30 AM: Hudson Room, Homewood Suites. Conference Welcome and Introduction to Theme: Psychiatry, CMDA and 21st Century Medicine. The name psychiatry, literally “medical treatment of the soul,” was coined in 1808 by Johann Christian Reil, a brilliant German physician, the son of a Lutheran pastor. Treating mental illness was meant to be practiced with an appreciation for medicine, psychology and philosophy. As a psychiatrist with Christian faith, theological understanding is also a part of our resource used to heal patients. What does a psychiatrist with Christian faith look like now and how do we integrate our faith and our practice? Click to view Dr. Okamoto's presentation.
- May 7, Monday, 6:30 – 9:00 PM: Annual Banquet – Agenda
- Election of 2018-2020 Officers
- Treating Epilepsy and Associated Psychiatric Disorders in Under-Resourced Areas of the World. OWP Pharmaceuticals and the ROW Foundation's presentation can be accessed here.
- Restoring Joy in Health Care, Dr. Gene Rudd, Senior VP of CMDA, presented on the topic of physician burnout and the national epidemic of physician suicide. Dr. Rudd focused his talk around the concept of joy. He demonstrated the scientific and theological aspects of joy and reviewed the current data demonstrating the joyless state among healthcare professionals. Click to listen to the presentation.
- May 8, Tuesday, 7:30 – 8:30 AM Hudson Room, Homewood Suites: Fellowship and Seminar, Discussion Group: Dr. Rudd continued his discussion and encouragement of the psychiatry section in the unique aspects of practicing as a psychiatrist with Christian beliefs and explored how to more effectively engage with CMDA members. Click to listen to the presentation.
- May 9, Wednesday, 7:30 – 9:30 AM Hudson Room, Homewood Suites: Dr. Brian Briscoe, Discussion Group and an opportunity for members to discuss cases involving integration of faith and practice. There is no video or audio of this session.